Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official 'Ice Cube Doesn't Get The Credit He Deserves' Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 AM   #94 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Another definition is that you're simply well-known.
But I'm well known on my road. Am I a household name?

lol, I know what you're saying, but I'm not arguing against him being well known in Hip-Hop, I'm saying in general, in this country. He is not at that level that Jay-Z, Beyonce, Lady Gaga are at. They are real household names.

Quote:
IMO, your definition doesn't leave a whole lot of grey area. You have to meet certain, specific guidelines that are, frankly, unreasonable. Being known by all age groups regardless of their interest in music or not implies that you're known by everyone, and in the grand scheme of things, there are 7 billion people who live on this planet. Some of them have no concept of music, some of them don't have access to radio or television, and even Lady Gaga may not even be considered a "household name" by your definition.
I'm not talking about imams in caves in Afghanistan or tribes in the Amazon, they are excluded. I mean western society & in particular Britain which is where I live. Ice Cube would be well known with Hip-Hop fans & people between roughly 16-35.

People I consider to be genuine household names would be known amongst pretty much everyone, here.

Quote:
My definition I think is very simple, but sets a standard that you're compared relative to everyone else. I think it means that anyone who's in the public eye, someone who you've heard of but don't know personally more or less, is a household name. I think that's pretty fair, and I think Ice Cube meets that standard without question. He has 5.3M likes on Facebook, which might not be a lot amongst some other major players in music, but is still a very high number.
I would say a Hip-Hop household name but not a general one.

Anyway I can't be bothered to discuss this any more cos it's starting to go round in circles.

Also the phrase 'household name' is repeating in my head now like a ringing sound and it's starting to irritate me.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote