Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #74 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Essential Emo Albums I Have Never Heard:

Artist: Cap'n Jazz
Album: Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over
Year: 1993

Before listening:

I was unsure of whether I should follow the chronological order completely or just keep going with Jawbreaker, maybe squeezing Jets to Brazil in there too, but then I decided to just move on as intended, to the year of 1993. Apparently Cap'n Jazz, Boy's Life, Christie Front Drive and a couple of other bands released some EPs before this (and of course there's Diary, but I already know and praise that one), but those are only minor releases and thus I wouldn't classify them as "essential albums". This one, however, is as essential as it gets, from what I've understood.

After listening:

The lyrics seem a bit nonsensical at moments, but from all the vocal intensity I'm sure they mean something to the guys in the band. Frankly, this is not for me. Sure, it must have been hugely influential, and it perfectly represents what "real emo" is and should be, but damn, if this album was a cake, and the "spirit of true emo" was sugar, then they used a bit too much sugar. Though the first three tracks all have their spots in my emo playlist, I'll mostly leave the rest alone. Expressive noise and actual melody should have a fine balance. For me, the popcore of Jawbreaker's debut is just perfect.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote