Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official 'Ice Cube Doesn't Get The Credit He Deserves' Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #100 (permalink)
Forward To Death
Trolier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
But I'm well known on my road. Am I a household name?

lol, I know what you're saying, but I'm not arguing against him being well known in Hip-Hop, I'm saying in general, in this country. He is not at that level that Jay-Z, Beyonce, Lady Gaga are at. They are real household names.
In the context of the world, no, you definitely aren't. Your point isn't even applicable here.

So you're pretty in touch with the pulse of the country, I take it? Maybe it is significantly different from America, but I'd say someone who has 5.3M likes on FB is pretty popular in general.

Quote:
I'm not talking about imams in caves in Afghanistan or tribes in the Amazon, they are excluded. I mean western society & in particular Britain which is where I live. Ice Cube would be well known with Hip-Hop fans & people between roughly 16-35.

People I consider to be genuine household names would be known amongst pretty much everyone, here.
And how to you suppose you could come up with this figure? Sounds like a major pain in the ass. Again, it's your definition, it's always going to leave you (and your argument) back pedaling, because you're blowing smoke up my ass that you'll never be able to prove, and I can't disprove because it's BS. Sorry to be that blunt, but it's absolutely true.

My definition essentially says to compare the person to the rest of the world. I'd say that Ice Cube is likely in the upper 5% of the world in terms of popularity, perhaps even in the upper 1%, I'm too lazy to actually do the work, but when I think of all of the celebrities in the world and compare them to the 7 billion people in the world, I'd think celebrities in general are in the upper 1% in notoriety. One could conclude that this makes them a household name, and there would be a pretty good argument for it.

Quote:
I would say a Hip-Hop household name but not a general one.

Anyway I can't be bothered to discuss this any more cos it's starting to go round in circles.

Also the phrase 'household name' is repeating in my head now like a ringing sound and it's starting to irritate me.
What's the difference between a hip-hop household name? There's hip-hop households? That sounds like a fantastic band name, The Hip-Hop Household, quite the little alliteration.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote