Music Banter - View Single Post - Heavy Music
Thread: Heavy Music
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

MORE CANADA

It was remiss of me to imply that Canada hasn't given the world a significant amount of good Heavy Music. It really has. I think. Let's see...

There was this metalcore craze that wasn't always totally silly. Even though we had to deal with bands like Atreyu (American of course), there was a lot of good stuff out there. It was comprised of followers of Neurosis, Isis, etc.. heavy bands who didn't exactly fit into any existing metal scene but were too metal to be considered hardcore. One of my favorite bands of that era was called Buried Inside. From Ottowa, they dicked around for a while before they released a great album in 2005 called Chronoclast. It was produced by one of the leading heavy music guys of the time, Matt Bayles. I have quite a few complaints about Bayles' work in general but I love this album and I think he did right by the band. It also featured pleasantly symmetrical cover art that complimented their sound and concept. The concept of this album was the idea of time as it factors into certain philosophies and ideologies. Pretty neat.

I had the pleasure of seeing the band on their tour for Chronoclast and they delivered the heavy really well. The album comes across as an amateurish Neurosis album with the songs varying between balls-out heavy and kind of a slow heavy, usually with a long buildup. The singer sounds exactly the same throughout: a monotone scream/yell but he does it really well and after a while it becomes comforting. In fact I'd say the vocals are the glue that holds it all together.

So.. I realize that there are influential bands from Canada. And I do love them. But most of them just don't fit both of my requirements for this thread (heavy, good) so I'm going to stop talking about the subarctic wasteland above the United States as soon as I mention one more band, a popular one:

This is a much talked about band and I don't have a whole lot to add. Thrash originators. Technical innovators. You know what I'm saying. I just don't feel that it would be right to end my Canada thing before I featured one of the noisiest, most beautiful thrash songs of 1984: Warriors of Ice

Enjoy, Eh!