Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated Band of the '60s
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
The Battle of the Bands era line-up is possibly my favorite of The Turtles' history, with Johnny Barbata on Drums...check out this performance! The song was a sarcastic joke on their US label (White Whale) which backfired through turning into a major hit. The label was begging for another "Happy Together" and you might have thought that with the sloppy cliches and "et ceterea" thrown in the chorus the powers that be got the joke, but they only smelled a hit and got one, although most of the Battle of the Bands album was a very interesting collision of styles hinting at the Zappa world Flo and Eddie would enter in The 70's.

It was so shocking to me when I was older and learned that "Elenore" was deliberately written to be a really ... well, dumb pop song. Nonetheless, I'm not ashamed to admit that I've always loved singing along to that one. 60s pop gold, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The Left Banke are fairly great.
I forgot how much I love that song.

Really love Psy-Fi's mentioning of the Electric Prunes. I've always been spellbound by these two tracks in particular:

"Wind Up Toys"

"Antique Doll"

They just have that kind of sound that really gets to me. Spooky (but proper psych).

I've also got a taste for Vanilla Fudge. (They were something great, too.)

"You Keep Me Hangin' On"

I also really enjoyed their covers of "Eleanor Rigby", "Season of the Witch" and "Some Velvet Morning". They're one of my favorite groups to get wasted to.