Music Banter - View Single Post - Any multi instrumentalists out there? - I need your input :)
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
FishlessExistence
Groupie

Ah, I have had this experience when switching between guitar and percussion. I developed a sloppy (but on point) electric guitar style that utilized a lot of noise. When playing with my band mates, I felt very "free" in my movements. However, I had to fill in on the drum kit for a while and had a lot of difficulty. It felt like I had to be much more rigid. I couldn't feel what we were playing like I could on guitar, because I was paranoid about my timing and generally overthinking the whole process.

Finally, it clicked and I just let go and felt the music. Once I was familiar with the layout of the drum kit, the beat just came naturally while we improvised. During this time, I was also trying my best to learn keyboards/piano but couldn't master playing with both hands very well. After my breakthrough with the drums I gave it another shot and found I was much better at playing with both hands, my coordination having been affected positively with my percussion experience.

Overall, learning to play the drums gave me greater control over my hand coordination, better timing, and an improved ability to get lost in the music and not overthink everything I was doing.

Wish you the best of luck man!
FishlessExistence is offline   Reply With Quote