Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's Journal Of Half Assed Ideas
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #309 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

I Review Stuff I Only Downloaded Because The Covers Looked So Crap

Lollipops - Ring My Bell
From the cover I'm guessing this is a bunch of glamour models in a studio auto-tuned to shit singing a cover of Anita Bell's hit from the 1970s.
I was almost right, it's a bunch of glamour models in a studio auto-tuned to shit TRYING to sing a cover of Anita Bell's hit from the 1970s.
No amount of technology can save this crap. This manages to be even worse than the euro-disco stuff Derek keeps posting.
Thankfully it's only a single. A one sided single.
Hurray for 7 inch singles being replaced by MP3's, for a moment there I thought I might have to suffer a B side as well.

Bombocas - Nao Queriam Mais Nada
The first 4 songs sound like the kind of songs that traditionally finish last in the Eurovision Song Contest sounding like some kind of traditional music / dance mash up done on a cheap midi keyboard. It's supposedly Portuguese but it would probably sound just as at home in some toxic Eastern European ex Soviet nuclear waste dump of a country.
Some of it gets a bit more techno-ey and you'll just love those awful synthetic sounding accordions & strings. This might be the cheapest album ever made. No expense spared here and that goes for the cover art with a bunch of women old enough how to dress better wearing a net curtain-wear / leotard combo on show.

Cajun Roosters & Friends - Transatlantic Sessions
There's nothing I can really add to this, just look at the cover.
26 musicians from 4 countries & 2 continents? And I've not heard of any of them.
I don't know what to go for first so I'll go for 'Don't Mess With My Toot, Toot' by 'Dwayne Dopsie'.
It seems I have the choice because that song is on the album twice. The short version and the long and slow version.
I think the short version will do.
Urgh
Fuck this album, I don't do line dancing.

Barefoot Dance Of The Sea - Beneath Closed Eyes
By the looks of the cover only one of them could be bothered to be barefoot and close her eyes, at least she was committed. The others are just standing around looking like they're waiting for a bus.
Actually this albums isn't that bad. It's exactly what you would expect it to sound like. a really lo-fi recording of 3 women playing ukuleles & singing. 'The Build-A-House Song' is quite catchy and 'The Murder Song' is a decent acappella song with a bit of a beat to it (Well as much as a beat you'll get on this.)
The other songs all sound the same but if I was in the right mood for this sort of thing I would listen to it properly even though the whole thing is more twee than the entire roster of Sarah Records standing in a field full of buttercups playing Belle & Sebastian songs on harps.

Evensong - S/T
Some British band attempts to do that awful horrible American style country / folk hybrid that was all the rage there in the early 70s.
Revolting.
Three women with ukuleles just managed to kick your ass, how does that feel boys?

The Billy Taylor Quartet - Where've You Been
Sadly not his rendition of the Dinosaur Jr album of the almost same name. Pretty inoffensive Jazz I could happily listen to late one night from someone who looks like they should be in a school somewhere teaching geography.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote