Music Banter - View Single Post - You Know What Grinds My Gears?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #514 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Aww I'm relieved to hear that. That's a good sign if you can not take it home with you. For a minute there I thought it was happening all day every day. People can be really cool sometimes, it's not always bad. That's great that the company contributes to society in a positive way. Are the products donated or is it just the profits from new products that get donated? I love the hospice on my street, I can donate my clothes and then get clothes from other people in the $1 bin. It's amazing how people donate high quality clothes.
Our non-profits deliver things that have been dropped in donation bins around the metro area, or somehow donated to their association; the public also donates to our store directly (and we give them coupons and freebies and stuff). We pay our non-profits for the stuff they deliver to us, and we pay them for the in-store donations from the community as well. People drop off really great stuff (though sometimes it's not so great, but we have a sorting team that picks out only the best). Unsold items are recycled and sent/given to some sort of benefit (I'm not really sure but I assume they're either sent to developing countries or crisis centers in the states).

We don't like to waste things, or to have to throw things away. I buy a ton of jewelry and clothes there (the associate discount is super generous - 50% off all clothing and accessories; 30% off housewares & furniture) and both Ki and I are always finding cool stuff for our apartment. We get compliments all the time, at the front end, from people who love our store. (We're the 2nd largest store in our region.) It's sort of mean but I'll be so happy once Goodwill gets swallowed up by our company (Goodwill sucks!) and ceases to exist and ceases to have ties with Salvation Army (one of the most deceptive organizations here in the states - their values are built on white supremacy and homophobia - much like Walmart).

So yeah, we're kind of a big deal.