Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is the bass ususally so quiet?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylstew View Post
In most bands I've listened to, the bass guitar is pretty..quiet. As soon as the distortion guitars come in, I can only hear the bass if I really listen for it, or but your bass setting higher in an equalizer or on your speaker or something. Like, the rest of the instruments are way louder.
Seriosly, I wonder, why is the bass ususally so quiet? I know that's not the case in all tyepes of music, but it is with most music that I listen to.
It's not that it's quiet. It's that low frequencies are harder to detect especially amongst higher sound frequencies. Equalizers, settings, pedals... all that fancy stuff does not make the frequency higher (or lower, for that matter). Low frequency sound waves are also bigger so they dissipate much faster than high frequency sound waves, and low frequency waves also travel much closer to the ground and don't resonate or echo off of objects as well. If the bass was absent from a song, you would know it. The absence of bass sound in any music that usually has it is a glaring omission.

It's also harder to listen for bass sounds in any music since it's just there for harmonization and keeping the music moving along. In most genres, the bass is rarely featured as a solo instrument.

If you are alone in a room with a bass guitarist or a tuba player, or any other low instrument and you still can't hear it, then there is a problem with your ears.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote