Music Banter - View Single Post - Why is the bass ususally so quiet?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dylstew
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
It's not that it's quiet. It's that low frequencies are harder to detect especially amongst higher sound frequencies. Equalizers, settings, pedals... all that fancy stuff does not make the frequency higher (or lower, for that matter). Low frequency sound waves are also bigger so they dissipate much faster than high frequency sound waves, and low frequency waves also travel much closer to the ground and don't resonate or echo off of objects as well. If the bass was absent from a song, you would know it. The absence of bass sound in any music that usually has it is a glaring omission.

It's also harder to listen for bass sounds in any music since it's just there for harmonization and keeping the music moving along. In most genres, the bass is rarely featured as a solo instrument.

If you are alone in a room with a bass guitarist or a tuba player, or any other low instrument and you still can't hear it, then there is a problem with your ears.
Thanks for the explenation. I can hear the bass just fine if I think of it, but I usually just forget about it because it sounds that quiet. But if equalizers don't change anything, than why is it that when I put the bass equalizer up on my PC/Phone or on a speaker that it's easier to hear? At least it seemed like it.

When I was at the place I'm getting singing lessons , there was a band playing in a room downstairs. You couldn't hear that much, but the bass was the loudest thing of all, it made everything feel like, shaky. Why does it sound louder outside of the room than in the room? I have no idea how sound works xP.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote