Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #1474 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Can anyone clear up whether my system is bogged down or my internet just too slow? Everything is taking ages to load or play, and although I have a few progs open (Spotify, Skype, DAP, torrent client and Firefox etc) teh resources don't seem too stretched (showing 17% used). My system is a decent one --- AMD Phenom II X 6 2.8 Ghz with 8 gig ram --- so it's no slouch, but this is really starting to annoy me. Downloads are taking forever, programmes are freezing, Youtubes stop/starting... any advice?

Thanks guys!

Oh, Windows 7 64-bit and there's piles of space on the C drive...
Separate internet connection from local program sluggishness. Two different things.

To check your internet speed, just google internet speed test and go to one of the sites to test if you're getting what you're supposed to be getting.

As far as programs lagging and other general slowness, it always helps to scan for viruses and also clean out a lot of temp junk you most likely have, and do a defrag. Download CCleaner to clean the temp junk and registry issues, then do a defrag on all your hard drives using the built in defragmenter, assuming your hard drives aren't solid state drives.

If you do all that and you're not successful, you have bigger issues. Sh*t like "bit rot" is an issue, where the OS just generally gets f*cked over time. A fresh reinstallation can help in that case. However, don't overlook the hardware portion. Hardware gets stale and eventually starts giving out. Check the event viewer to make sure you're not getting hardware errors.