Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #7926 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
If you are going to go around saying that's how Hip Hop is created and educating people on the beginnings on Hip Hop.

You might want to take a step back and acknowledge the fact that Hip Hop mostly started out as party anthem club music. Look at Rapper's Delight. It was DJ scratching, MCs doing their thing and Break dancers getting down.
When did I say that Hip Hop does not have dance music?

I don't think I ever implied that. Hip Hop has many sub genres within it as well.I just said that the genre OVERALL was originally created and used as an outlet for black youth and African Americans because of the way the system was treating them. Hip Hop is more than a genre. It is almost a culture within itself and way of life. Break dancing, beat boxing, clothing, music, movement etc is all apart of that.

Quote:
Conscious hip hop didn't come until a bit later with Grandmaster Flash's The Message and Public Enemy.
This is not about conscious hip hop. This is about the history of Hip Hop and how it was created.

Hip Hop was created on the struggles and tribulations of African Americans. Conscious hip hop music or not it was all constructed based on that reason.

Quote:
Also don't try to pass off Tupac like he was some patron saint. He had a few conscious songs but most of the rest of his material was gangsta rap, party songs and fucking women.
I am not passing him off as a "saint". I just think compared to Biggie he was an overall better MC with stronger material. He also cared more about social and political issues that he was willing to lose his career for.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote