Music Banter - View Single Post - Owl City- The Midsummer Station (2012)- Album Review
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dylan F.
Groupie

Thumbs up Owl City- The Midsummer Station (2012)- Album Review

Being a big fan of Adam Young's Project Owl City, I've followed him from 2008's Maybe I'm Dreaming, 2009's Ocean's Eyes, and 2011's All Things Bright and Beautiful. The Midsummer Station really stuck out to me. Adam brought his Owl City flair to this album, with a new sense of direction. He personally described the album to not be as "left of center" as his previous albums. He brings a flair of dance and rock, along with some of the slower ballads he's known for. But don't be mistaken, this is still an Owl City record. Dreams and Disasters starts of the album. This song combined elements of pop, rock, and dance perfectly. Shooting Star can start to sound a bit mainstream at times, but still has a special message and positivity to it. Gold has a positive uplifting sound that reminds me of Olympic promotional songs XD. His rock side is shown of in the songs Dementia and Embers. His collaboration with Mark Hoppus (from Blink-182) on Dementia is just awesome, it's just so awesome.Legen- wait for it-dary! haha. Mark Hoppus definitely does his thing with the song. Embers is probably one of my favorite songs on the record. It's slow dramatic buildup in the verses leads to pretty bad ass chorus, definitely worth a listen. Take It All Away and Bombshell Blonde didn't really hit me as much. However, the two song (the one's I call the real dancy songs of the album) are Speed of Love and I'm Coming After You. Speed of Love's slow buildup to the fast paced chorus is really cool. I'm Coming After You is just epic. The idea of using the metaphor of a police chase for pursuing a love interest is just awesome and really fun (definitely a sing along song).Metropolis serves as an underdog story song on the album. Silhouette is the ballad of the album. In my opinion this is one of the most personal (and probably most depressing) song Adam has ever written (ugh the feels DX). It's one of my favs on the album. But I feel like im forgetting something...hmmm OH yeah, Good Time. This.....song...holy crap. This is not only the catchy song of the album but arguably one of the catchiest songs of the radio today. This is nothing but more Owl City magic and pleasure, that reminds up why we listen to him to begin with: To escape into our own world and let our imagination run wild. Final ranking: 9.5. Why not a 10? Some of the songs may not have hit me as much. Hope you enjoyed my review! P.S. Thinking about reviewing Gavin DeGraw's Sweeter album. Lmk what ya'll think!
Dylan F. is offline   Reply With Quote