Music Banter - View Single Post - Power Ballads
Thread: Power Ballads
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishlessExistence View Post
You know what's odd? Journey, and more specifically, Don't Stop Believing seems to have exploded in popularity with the mid twenties/hipster crowd around here (Houston). Journey performed in the area recently and they sold out mostly to a younger crowd. Just find it odd.
I was one of the people who first heard don't stop believin from Family Guy, but I truly think it's just a really really good song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanMC View Post
There might be lots of kinds of power ballads: For the Love of God, by Vai is one, isn't it? And it's a heavenly experience to listen to that song. Flat Lands by The Aristocrats is another power ballad, right? At the same time, Nothing Else Matters is another one. Can we say that One, by Metallica as well, is a power ballad? Don't Cry, by GNR... is it a power ballad or just a ballad?
I think a power ballad is really any song that doesn't follow a typical song format, is long with a lot of instrumentation, and emotional vocals. I think the distinguishing factor is that a pb must have amplified instruments, among other things. Sympathy for the Devil is mostly acoustic till that razor-edge guitar solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
The ultimate power ballad:

I'm not a huge fan of it, but I think Stairway To Heaven might be slightly more popular as the ultimate power ballad.

Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote