Music Banter - View Single Post - Do your pets like music?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

^
One day last year I think I spent about an hour watching youtube vids of parrots singing their favorite songs. I think that might have been one of them.

In other news ...

THIS was interesting. I googled "cats and music" and got this:

What Music Do Pets Prefer? : Discovery News
Quote:
Against the conventional wisdom that music is a uniquely human phenomenon, ongoing research shows that animals actually do have the capacity for music. But rather than liking classical or rock, Snowdon, an animal psychologist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, has discovered that animals march to the beat of a different drum altogether. They enjoy what he calls "species-specific music": tunes specially designed using the pitches, tones and tempos that are familiar to their particular species.

With no pun intended, music is all about scale: Humans like music that falls within our acoustic and vocal range, uses tones we understand, and progresses at a tempo similar to that of our heartbeats. A tune pitched too high or low sounds grating or ungraspable, and music too fast or slow is unrecognizable as such.
Anyway if you have a pet I'd highly recommend reading the whole article (it goes onto a 2nd page too). It said that dogs often seem to prefer the same music humans do, but that's because they're similar size (at least the larger ones). Cats, being small animals with a huge hearing range tending toward high pitches, have much different tastes. It said someone had done some research and came up with "music for cats" which has 3 songs you can sample and download here:
Music for Cats - listen
"Rusty's Ballad" is actually not all that different from "Please Let Me Wonder" in terms of note range and tempo. That might explain why my cat seems to like it. As for the first two songs, I'm pretty sure I can find some minimalist classical music (John Adams) that is similar. Maybe I should make a mixtape for my cat.