Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #675 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Album Title: Sounds That Can't Be Made
Artiste: Marillion
Nationality: British
Year: 2012
Subgenre: "Neo" Progressive Rock
Player(s): Steve Hogarth (Vocals/Keyboards), Mark Kelly (Keys/Backing Vox), Ian Mosley (Drums), Steve Rothery (Guitar) and Pete Trewavas (Bass)
Familiarity: Very
Favourite track(s): Sounds That Can't Be Made, Montreal, Gaza
Why? All very powerful songs in their own way, with the title track in particular being a melodic tour-de-force on par with anything on Seasons End or Afraid Of Sunlight.
Least favourite track(s): Lucky Man
Why? Hogarth doesn't do the bluesy, bar-band thing that well.
Any preconceptions prior to listening, whether good or bad? I haven't really liked a Marillion album from start to finish since Afraid Of Sunlight back in '95 (though Marbles had its' moments), so there's always a part of me that hoped they'd eventually give me something I could sit through from beginning to end with a smile on my face.
Factoids you'd like to share? Hogarth almost became the keyboardist for famed band The The right before he was approached by Marillion.
End impression: The best they've done in ten years or more.
Comments: I've never seen a band besides maybe Radiohead or The Smiths who have as fervent and dedicated a following as Marillion. The majority opinion from them is that this latest outing is their best since Marbles, and on that I would agree wholeheartedly. Hogarth has perhaps grown wearier as a singer with the passing of years, but all that seems to fall away when you hear parts of 'Gaza' or that soaring chorus on the title track and you remember why these guys continue to be so lauded despite so much competition in the progsphere nowadays compared to the 80's and 90's. There is much life left in Rothery and the boys yet.

Rating: 4.0

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote