Music Banter - View Single Post - Temples, Hookworms and the new generation of psychedelic adventurers
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Another article on the current crop of psychedelia.

Weird Scene
Quote:
Sam Willis tries to make sense of the weird and wonderful world of Psychedelia - are we in the midst of yet another revival? If so why?

[...]

Anyway, preamble over – let’s get down to business. This feature (as you may have noticed) is about the phenomenon of psychedelia and its recent resurgence into popular music. Although psych has been floating around for decades since its inception in the 60s, the last five years or so has seen a massive increase in the kaleidoscopic genre. More notably bands like Tame Impala have made a real impact on the landscape of popular music, but there have also been many bands on the peripheries of the public eye who are making this psychedelic dream a reality.

Unfortunately for you (and me) known associate of Tame Impala and member of fellow Aussie outfit POND, Nick Albrook was out on official tie-dying business when I tried to wrangle him for an interview, but never fear darlings, for you (and just for you) I managed to get my hands on the mysterious Goat from Sweden and their buddies Hills, as well as Dead Meadow’s Steve Kille and exciting Carlisle buzz band, The Lucid Dream. One of the first things that I really wanted to know about this recent resurgence of psych is about its influences. A bit of a boring and perhaps predictable question I know, but necessary in finding out what motivates this revival has – do the warped experiments of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Byrds, The Yardbirds and the Krautrock movement still rattle in the skulls of contemporary psych bands, or is there something else?

[...]