Music Banter - View Single Post - The Anime/Manga thread
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #374 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
@Batlord

Smart bringing the discussion here.

i would agree anime has gotten pretty formulaic but even within that formula they tend to be more diverse about the topics they bring up than american cartoons.
Well that's not saying much. Around here if it's not a superhero cartoon then it's a kid's show or possibly Adult Swim. And even then it's just gonna be a goofy comedy.

Quote:
And if we're gonna talk about anime we have to bring up the difference in the culture standards and their boundaries and also how each culture views animation, in America animation is viewed that is mostly for kids so they stray away from mature content and only allow it in the form of a satire in shows like family guy or southpark
I think this is kind of an illusion. Kind of. True, animation is much more culturally accepted than in America, but most shows are still for kids. And then a smaller but still sizable amount is for young adults, like Naruto. After that the pickings are far smaller. It may not be the same as in America, but if you're in your twenties and still an anime nerd then you are considered to some extent a loser just like with sci fi or fantasy. "Otaku" is sort of a badge of pride over here, but in Japan it's an insult, like "nerd" or "geek".
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote