Music Banter - View Single Post - The German Language
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #42 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoffelbrei View Post
Natürlich sprech' ich deutsch ;P I was born here
The sentence you posted just means "Yes, a body Germany.", hehe
That's why i got confused

Actually there are 30 letters, if you count ä, ö and ü, but they are just ae, oe and ue. You should really visit bavaria, if you get to germany. it's so amazing here. we have lakes 'n mountains 'n snow 'n beauty everywhere

Yeah, english is taught here in 3rd grade and all the rest of the time in school
I thought that there were 26 letters. The esset is a ligature, it's when two letters that are joined together, it's from the two S's found in Fraktur joined together i.e. ſ + s = ß. The umlaut is a diacritic, a glyph add to letter e.g. a + ¨ = ä. I don't know if they are considered new letters, I thought of them as modified versions of per-existing letters imo.

French seems to flow because of the liaisons and the words lean into each other as if a sentence is one long word. German has guttural stops, and depending upon regional differences the ending of certain consonants that are vocalized in English are non-vocalized, so g when it is the last letter is pronounce [k] , d when it is the last letter is pronounce [t] and a few others. German also has the voiceless velar fricative ch [x] It took me a while but I learned to roll my R's in the back of my throat like how Kraftwerk say "Harrisburg" in Radioactivity, and have non-rhotic at the end of words which I don't know is still in practice. I learn to scrap the back of my throat when pronouncing the French R e.g. très bien. I don't know if it is because of those things that make German sound harsher to some people than say French. I took German language 3 years in high school, and I like the language very much. And I studied the French language on my own.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 03-12-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote