Music Banter - View Single Post - The German Language
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
Kartoffelbrei
una ola nunca viene sola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I thought that there were 26 letters. The esset is a ligature, it's when two letters that are joined together, it's from the two S's found in Fraktur joined together i.e. ſ + s = ß. The umlaut is a diacritic, a glyph add to letter e.g. a + ¨ = ä. I don't know if they are considered new letters, I thought of them as modified versions of per-existing letters imo.

French seems to flow because of the liaisons and the words lean into each other as if a sentence is one long word. German has guttural stops, and depending upon regional differences the ending of certain consonants that are vocalized in English are non-vocalized, so g when it is the last letter is pronounce [k] , d when it is the last letter is pronounce [t] and a few others. German also has the voiceless velar fricative ch [x] It took me a while but I learned to roll my R's in the back of my throat like how Kraftwerk say "Harrisburg" in Radioactivity, and have non-rhotic at the end of words which I don't know is still in practice. I learn to scrap the back of my throat when pronouncing the French R e.g. très bien. I don't know if it is because of those things that make German sound harsher to some people than say French. I took German language 3 years in high school, and I like the language very much. And I studied the French language on my own

I had a speech impediment when I was young, and I am bit conscience how I would sound when speaking to a native speaker their language. But then again because of the speech impediment I became interested in languages.
bloody interesting, thank you.
i've never analyzed the language i'm talkin all the time as you did

Abra Kadabra,
3 x schwarzer Kater!

~Todos hablan de la mar, pero en ella nunca estan~
Kartoffelbrei is offline   Reply With Quote