Music Banter - View Single Post - The German Language
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #49 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoffelbrei View Post
bloody interesting, thank you.
i've never analyzed the language i'm talkin all the time as you did
I guess because native speakers learn from infancy, but in most case a person learning a second language learns it as a teenager or an adult, and the rules of pronunciation are taught as well (in most cases) along with simple phrases before one really learns the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoffelbrei View Post
The letter is btw called an "sz" (eszett), which kinda explains what it is
it's a mixture between an s and a z. We also call it a "sharp s".
So there are words like "Straße"(street), or "Scheiße"(sh*t), where we use it.
There are also words, that, when I was younger(before 1996), were written with an sz, but now are are written with a double s,
words like "daß" (today it's "dass") or "Kuß" ("Kiss", today it's Kuss)
And to confuse matters for the z isn't a z. The "z" in German sounds like a [ts] e.g. zählen. The "s" in the beginning of a German word sounds like the English pronunciation of z (the vocalized s) e.g. Sie is [zee] - I guess that is the "sharp" s you are talking about. That unvocalized s & "sharp" s goes back to non-vocalize consonants at the end of a word or in this case syllable, and vocalized in the beginning. I find that fascinating because it like a precise adherence to pronunciation rules. In English there are no such rules take "...ough" for instance - tough, cough, breakthrough and furlough don't rhyme. Also the v sounds like an [f] as in Vier the sch is [sh] it isn't equivalent to the English [sk] as in school.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 03-13-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote