Music Banter - View Single Post - Eurovision 2014 Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 03:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Default Eurovision 2014 Thread

Hi guyssss! It's that time of year again and I'm here to keep you updated about all the Eurovision goodness our lovely eardrums will have the pleasure of listening to this season!

Most of the songs have already been announced, so bear with me as I present them in groups. If you want to post songs you've heard or like (or are from your country or whatever), I welcome you to. I understand that that is probably not going to happen though.

Let me preface this thread with a warning that Eurovision seems to be heading in two prominent directions this year: those with a love for baked goods and those with a taste for bringing folk back in a way that only compares to...well every other Eurovision competition ever.

So let's begin with what I think are the most "folky" sounding songs this year, from Malta, Ireland, and Switzerland.

So, Malta's "Coming Home" by Firelight, eh? One word for this: boring. Not bad, but it really shouldn't be at Eurovision. I'm not even mildly interested. But like I said. Not a bad song.

Can-linn's "Heartbeat" for Ireland is rather formulaic. It sounds like a winner. It's not bad, either, I won't be mad if it wins. It has the uplifting celtic chorus thing, the bad lyrics, the poppy single-singer ballad thing going for it. She's not a great singer though, so it might not do that well. Toss-up.

From Switzerland, Sebalter - Hunter of Stars. Well this is surprisingly addictive actually. Aside from the singer's lack of keeping tempo (or is that intentional), I really enjoy this track. I've been jamming to it all week.

In my next post, we'll talk about baked goods!
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote