Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #862 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
In all reality Keith Moon was to the drums what Jimi Hendrix was to the guitar.
I did read an article a while back that Moon did admire Ringo Starr as a drummer. He admired the Beach Boys music even more so. Roger Daltrey once commented that Keith Moon would had joined the Beach Boys as their drummer if they wouldve offered him the job, even at the height of his career with Who.
High praise indeed to equate him with Jimi Hendrix, but I am afraid that the only correlation between the two is their stage antics, nothing more. There is no correlation music-wise. Keith Moon had his own style, and done what he wanted willy-nilly around the kit then kicked apart - big whoopee doo. He lack the class and style of Charlie W., Ringo S., Mel T., Hal B., Brian B., and Dennis W. - the list goes on...

Everyone (or at least Who fanboys) thinks it's etched in stone somewhere that Moon is the greatest most amazing whatever... what they like about him is not his redundant drumming style it's his antics on and off the stage. But Keith Moon was very limited drummer, a drummer limited to his own style.

Ringo on the other hand (even though considered adequate drummer) was a solid drummer, and well adapt to play different styles. I know Ringo gets pick on and it seems he is an easy target, and Moon get all this adulation which is mostly for being a party animal. When it comes down to Ringo is the better drummer for being a truer to the art of drumming.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote