Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #117 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

First,
I'd like to give some information about the section. First off, we are now three friends running the metal club, though I don't think that will impact any of you reading this. It's still only me writing the reviews, anyway. Secondly, we decided to add doom metal, and we're considering to do some hard rock, too, since it's so related to the metal genre. We also considered merging black and death metal into one chunk, “extreme metal”, but I'm not so sure about whether we'll actually do it or not. For now, they're separate.

Either way, we have selected some new albums:

Black metal: Bathory – S/T

Death metal: Amon Amarth – Twilight of the Thunder God
Doom metal: Candlemass – Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Fusion metal: Dream Theater – Images and Words
Glam metal: Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet
Hard rock: Aerosmith – Toys in the Attic
Heavy metal: Ozzy Osbourne – Blizzard of Ozz
Power metal: Blind Guardian – Somewhere Far Beyond
Thrash metal: Slayer – Reign in Blood

I decided to start with:

Chunks of metal: doom metal

Artist: Candlemass
Album: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Year:
Chronological position: Debut album
Genre: Doom metal
Expectations before listening: A doom classic

Heck be damned, Candlemass. These guys play some of the most powerful, mighty music I have ever heard. I started off with Nightfall, an album Batty indirectly recommended to me. It was love at first listen, therefore, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus being selected for our first doom metal album was no problem for me.

Even though the album has only six tracks, is manages to last for 42 minutes since the tracks are all fairly long, yet not a minute is boring. Everything from the acoustic intro starting it off, to the operatic female voice finishing it, is amazing. This is a beautifully sad, dark and haunting album and I love it. Also, because of this and past experiences, I think I'm mostly a fan of the epic brand of metal. Pantera didn't really do much for me, I am a Metallica guy rather than a Megadeth fan, I praise Keeper of the Seven Keys to death, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my favourite Sabbath album.

5/5
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote