Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default Wide Open - Steve Moakler

Do you know the artist who has released his newest album today, on 18th March 2014? It is an American singer/songwriter called Steve Moakler!
It's a funny story, once I thought I'd like to test my own songwriting skills. I made some concepts of songs but basically I ran out of ideas quickly.
So what do you do? Exactly, you ask YouTube to help you find some singer/songwriter-tips, it did provide me a helpful video - there I saw Steve Moakler.
Somehow I liked his style and thought I'd give his album All The Faint Lights (2009) a listen, and I honestly enjoyed the track Hesitate.
So let's take a look at his latest work:

Wide Open - Steve Moakler

Track list
1. Rather Make a Living
2. Damn, Do I Think About You
3. Crooked Heart
4. Humble Operations
5. I've Got You to Love
6. On Your Side
7. Be Your Man
8. Riser
9. Have It so Bad
10. Wide Open
11. Holiday at Sea

The album starts with Rather make a living. The songs tells about the desires of a humble man, the dream of being yourself. This is what I consider a road trip song. Easy to sing along, catchy!
The following song has some up-beat guitar pattern, smooth vocals and a nice bridge. It's an steady-going song - Damn, Do I Think About You!
Just trying to walk a straight line with the crooked heart inside. I like the guitar-heavy piece, puts me in a positive mood. Good job, though I'm just missing the piano-pieces so far.
Humble Operations is a beautiful track, touching and true lyrics. My favorite track so far!

The fifth track, I've Got You to Love, is a bit too kitschy for my taste. Nevertheless, nice guitar picking.
The next song, On Your Side, appeals to me. Simple but at some point sweet! Be Your Man is a groovy song - pretty chill and down-to-earth, not bad.
A truly remarkable song is Riser - melancholic sounds of a violin, soft vocals. Instance to the contrary is the song Have it so bad, it's a bit grittier, also the guitar sounds rock-ish.
Wide Open sounds like a happy Bon Iver song at the start. The songs develops into a very thoughtful piece. The final song, Holiday at Sea is perfect ending song, it leaves you with a smile!

All in all I'm quite happy with this album. I have expected some piano-heavy compositions to be honest.
I guess sometimes some laid-back tunes can brighten your day as well!