Music Banter - View Single Post - Goofle11's Twenty Fourteen Listening Log
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #39 (permalink)
The Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post

Self Defense Family - Try Me (2014)

The Angelique Gauthier parts are pretty great. The rest is so-so post-hardcore garb.

2.5/5

I enjoyed the novelty of the two Angelique interviews and her story is one of great intrigue to me, but I skip those two tracks when I replay the album.
I mean, the concept was a unique one, throwing in the two segments of her life story on an album that at times had little to do with her.
But, I really enjoy the songs. Especially Tithe Pig, Aletta & Nail House Music

I find the band to be very different from everything out there. They have a unique abrasive style which combines with a sense of loathing and insecurity. The lyrics are very creative and the songs tell great stories or convey points very well. Aletta, a song about a girl, that rags on other songs about girls for example is very cleverly done.

I find myself singing the songs to myself and I've enjoyed this record far more than any other this year. To me, it was so refreshing, something new and captivating.

Appreciate your opinion though, from what I've read, reviews have been really mixed. At first, I wasn't entirely convinced by it. I thought it was weird, but it grew on me so hard and I appreciate it's genius. Give it another shot if you feel in that way inclined, if not. It's up to you.

Been meaning to check out some of the higher rated 2014 albums on this list too. You've always got your finger on the pulse to obscure new music. Keep it up.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote