Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #13955 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Spoiler for Plotholes so big you can drive a truck through:
The main one that I remember off hand was specifically about her squid baby. Elizabeth’s squid-fetus, meanwhile, has grown to monstrous proportions despite being locked in a small room with no sources of food or other places for the additional mass to have come from.

I feel like I have to re-watch it now because I know there are other ones.

Also a lot of these little questions. Why did the Engineers show a star-map to their weapon facility instead of their home planet? Why were the Engineers running away from a threat to go inside the cargo room instead of another non-dead-end option? What happened to the other alien ships? Did the threat attack all the alien ships at the same time to make it impossible for one of them to escape? Why was there still one living Engineer inside the spaceship? Wouldn’t the threat kill him too? The alien spaceships have been underground for more than 2000 years; did no one back home want to see what happened? Why did Janek not care at all about the 2 scientists trapped inside the alien cave? What is the purpose of those random pixelated flashbacks of the Engineer crew running? Why was everyone so relaxed about finding out the biggest revelation of human history? And why, oh why was there a goddamn flute to activate the alien ship?

Another thing, I don't think it was so clear cut that they wanted to destroy their own creations because they were scared of what they created. It seems like there is some other reason behind them wanting to exterminate all life. I read an interview where the director said that most of the unanswered questions in the plot will be resolved in the sequel but he likes the way the film leaves certain questions unanswered because he wasn't completely sure if they would be approved for a sequel. The script for it is done though it was completed last year in Oct.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Ah. I noticed a few of those, like the alien ships still on the planet and the apparent lack of a response from the alien home world. And yeah, a lot of the pixel hologram bits were convenient plot devices, but they were meant to show that the aliens had lost control of their creations, which makes it pretty obvious why they would want to destroy humanity as well, since if the weaponized life forms (I'm guessing that whatever they used to create us was an unweaponized form of what created the creatures) turned on them then they couldn't be sure about us. I think this was made kind of explicit when the redhead scientist got so terrified of the alien fetus inside of her. Just like the aliens she had seen what the creatures were capable of and wanted to kill the thing inside of her for much the same reasons as the aliens wanted to kill us.

I think it may have actually been kind of a Noah's Ark thing. Maybe some sort of rebellion or somesuch, as if we had turned away from them like the humans supposedly did to God in the Bible, and so the aliens decided to purge humanity. If you remember the scene near the end when the spaceship crashes and it starts to roll on the ground, at one point the horse shoe ends of the ship point directly upward, and maybe I'm reaching but the ship had a very Ark-like appearance for a moment.

And I have no idea why the map showed the star system for the facility and not the alien home system. Again, convenient plot device.

Another thing that bothered me was the old guy. What exactly did it add to the story to have him still alive at the end? Seemed like just a convenient reason to have the android guy have a hidden agenda. Otherwise it was pointless.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote