Music Banter - View Single Post - What band first got you into Metal?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #211 (permalink)
mythsofmetal
Music Addict

Iron Maiden was the band that first got me into Metal. My Uncle introduced me to them with the "Best of the Beast" CD which he lent me around 2005 when I was still quite young. I fell in love with the songs Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear of the Dark, The Number of the Beast, and soon went out and listened to their whole discography. I'm grateful I was introduced to Iron Maiden, because it started me on my way to explore the whole Metal genre, which has come to be my favourite genre of music.

Edit: I guess I'll also add in what my first Metal band was for each new sub-genre I discovered too.

The next sub-genre I started to explore more was Thrash Metal, and as with many others who know Thrash, Metallica was their first band for that, and so was mine.

I then started getting into Power Metal with the helps of Guitar Hero and Dragonforce, though I'm less interested in them now than I am Iron Maiden or Metallica, and favor Power Metal bands more along the lines of Blind Guardian now.

I then got into harsher/extreme Metal in the way of the Melodic Death Metal band Children of Bodom. After which I got into regular Death Metal with the band Death, and Folk Metal with Ensiferum. I finally started getting into Black Metal a little over two years ago with the likes of Watain. I guess in some ways the final frontier for me was Avant-garde Metal, where I discovered my favourite band of the genre by the name of Sigh.

There are many other smaller genres I was introduced to, but I think I covered the main ones I still enjoy today.

Last edited by mythsofmetal; 03-18-2014 at 07:19 PM.
mythsofmetal is offline   Reply With Quote