Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #128 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristesse View Post
Even 'Social Disease'? Seriously?
Yes. Sorry.
Moving on...

Chunks of metal: heavy metal

Artist:
Ozzy Osbourne

Album: Blizzard of Ozz
Year: 1980
Chronological position: First solo album
Genre: Heavy metal
Expectations before listening: Annoying vocals that don't go well with the music

I read Unknown Soldier's review of this album, so this may be a bit coloured, but I'll try to make it as much my opinion as possible. I thought selecting this album would be appropriate since it sparked some discussion in his journal, you know, why shouldn't I join in?

This was my first time hearing solo Ozzy, apart from a couple of songs. What can I say? I prefer Black Sabbath, by far. I know it's meant to be different, but it's a change for the worse, in my opinion. Ozzy has a fairly limited vocal range, and his voice does not fit with the excellent guitar riffs of Randy Rhoads; he's not the right type of vocalist. I also think his singing is pretty dull at times, you know, lacking expression. In the part of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" that starts at around 3:19 (please PM me if you know what the professionals would call it), his vocals are great. Why did he give that up? I wonder what it would sound like if Dio sang in “Mr. Crowley”, instead. I feel that he would be an appropriate vocalist. Then there's the keyboards. Why couldn't they just leave them out? They sound terrible, and ruin everything, in my opinion. The ones at the start of “Mr. Crowley” sort of resemble an organ, but not quite. I think all of the keyboards on the album should be replaced by an organ, surely Ozzy could afford a Hammond or something.

Tl;dr version: Good riffs, good solos, bad vocals, bad keyboards, okay album.

3/5

Last edited by Isbjørn; 03-19-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote