Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default In a time lapse - Ludovico Einaudi

Let's go from something more casual to some serious and thoughtful music. I would like to present you a favorite artist of mine, an Italian pianist and composer named Ludovico Einaudi.
After he finished his education at the Conservatorio Verdi in Milan he started composing classical music in the 1980s and proceeded in mixing various styles in his music.
Maybe you're familiar with the name, he composed the scores of famous movies like Intouchables. Moreover he is well-known for his solo albums of piano and orchestra works.

In a time lapse - Ludovico Einaudi

On Saturday the 19th of January 2013 at 9pm, on a cold and snowy day, I got the chance to see one the best concerts.
Ludovico Einaudi offered a live-stream, all of his fans could watch him playing the newest piano works live from his living room. Even before the album In a time lapse got released!
The album is a bona fide sample of pure genius and talent. I know the songs are filled with technical ambition because of the minimalist style, but all the love and soul that resonates is magical.

The cover is modelled on nature, according to the title In a time lapse.
Slowly change the colors of the tree from below. Simple yet creative!

Track List
1. Corale
2. Time Lapse
3. Life
4. Walk
5. Discovery at Night
6. Run
7. Brothers
8. Orbits
9. Two Trees
10. Newton's Cradle
11. Waterways
12. Experience
13. Underwood
14. Burning

Pure and simple notes initiate the album and characterize the first song, Corale. A beautiful and calming orchestra work.
Dramatically, steady going - the second song Time Lapse features minimalist piano-playing, a steady guitar-melody and some electronic sounds. Slightly mysterious!
Life is an enchanting piano song, the main theme is supported by strings. The minimalist, repetitive bridge lets you discover the beauty of music. It reminds me on Vivaldi.
Walk has such a memorable character with the piano melody. Einaudi is make full use of his piano, highlighted and underlined by the string section.
My favorite track of this album is Discovery at Night, because of the harmonic chords and the developing movement. A very warm-sounding piano song.
I have played this song as well, it'll sound as good as performed by Einaudi. The song is very structured and simple-build, yet filled with emotion.
Run is a dark song with a break-out in the middle implemented by the orchestra. Wonderful baroque-sounding melodies combined with ambient elements.
The seventh song, Brothers, is a slowly evolving piano song. Melancholic and moving - the increased tempo at the end gives the song the final touch.
Orbits is a dramatic sound, starting with orchestra and dark piano notes. Music orbits around the earth!
The following track, Two Trees, is a calm and soft sounding, airy piano composition. You can hear how the pianist pauses for a moment at each phrase. Amazing!

Newton's Cradle is a rather experimental piece - energetic and restless. It sounds magical though a bit ambivalent with its changing rhythm.
Au contraire - the song Waterways - is very harmonic and deep. It reminds me on Heraclitus' words: panta rhei. Listening to this song inspires me with confidence.
Experience is a steady increasingly piece seen from the rhythm, with highs and lows in the melody. The musical definition of experience.
Underwood is the title of a very touching composition for piano and violin. A song filled with spirit, performed meditatively.
The final song is called Burning. Basically it starts very unassertive until the orchestra enkindles a musical fire that warms your heart.

If you like classical or calming music, it might be a good album to listen to.
I honestly do enjoy it and consider it to be the best album of Ludovico Einaudi. Highly recommended!