Music Banter - View Single Post - 65 Songs You Will Never Be Able to Listen to the Same Way Again
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Psy-Fi
Aficionado of Fine Filth

Knew about half of those, and some are by people/bands I don't listen to, so they don't mean anything to me anyway.

Number 8 should have been number 2 on the list...
The original lyrics are clearly about anal sex ("Tutti Frutti, good booty / If it don't fit, don't force it / You can grease it, make it easy") but they were rewritten to make the song suitable for radio.

Number 11 was obvious to me the first time I heard the lyrics.

Number 32 was such a big hit for Manfred Mann's Earth Band, and played to death on the radio, so I can see how most people might think they wrote it and not know it's actually a Spingsteen song.

Number 55 was claimed to be about birth control by a former girlfriend of his named Esther Anderson. I always thought the song was about government oppression/abuse and fighting back against it. From an entry in Wikipedia; Marley explained his intention as follows: "I want to say 'I shot the police' but the government would have made a fuss so I said 'I shot the sheriff' instead… but it's the same idea: justice."

Number 64 is clearly about LSD. John denied it at the time, but his alternative explanation always seemed so ridiculous, I always figured he was just having a laugh with it.

She's a Brick House

Last edited by Psy-Fi; 03-20-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention an entry previously.
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote