Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default Melophobia - Cage The Elephant

Just like Einaudi's music affects me emotionally many musical compositions of other genres do as well, take for example garage rock, punk blues or indie rock.
I'd like to tell you more about Cage The Elephant's third and newest album Melophobia that got released in 2013. Sarcastic title!
I feel for people who have Melophobia - an aversion to music. I know people who dislike most genres of music, but how can you be afraid of music?

Melophobia - Cage The Elephant

The energetic US band Cage The Elephant was formed in 2006. Since then they've released only 3 albums, but there are of high-quality.
What I especially like is that the band mixes a lot of styles like rock, indie and punk. Honestly, I wouldn't listen to a whole typical punk album.

Doesn't the cover look psychedelic? Definitively these stripes remind me on a geometrical zebra-print.
As well I first thought this head-slices were lunchmeat, my eyes must have been confused!
Whatever, let's take a look at the content of this album.

Track list
1. Spider Head
2. Come a Little Closer
3. Telescope
4. It's Just forever
5. Take it or Leave it
6. Halo
7. Black Widow
8. Hypocrite
9. Teeth
10. Cigarette Daydreams

Rock statement - Spider Head is a very revolutionary, guitar and drum heavy piece. Solid lyrics screamingly presented. This piece has got some coolness-factor!
Spiders in my head, spiders in my mind. You may take my eyes, but baby I'm not blind. It all works out in time. You know I'm gonna be alright. You may take my eyes, but baby I'm not blind.

Come a Little Closer sounds at first like a never-ending boring, whiny song, until the refrain breaks the mood:
Come a little closer, then you'll see! Things aren't always what they seem to be. Do you understand the things that you would see here?
Do you understand the things that you've been dreaming? Come a little closer, then you'll see!

A song about changes, revolutions, letting the past behind you and as well your fears. It is encouraging to go your way!
Time will fly by and if you continue suffering from tunnel vision created by others, you will never stop thinking self realization is just a fixed idea.

My favorite song out of the whole album is Telescope. I think the beginning with that retro sound-design is truly matching the song.
The lyrics describe the life and the thoughts of a marginalized human being. I can relate to the song.
I don't think you understand! There's nowhere left to turn, walls keep breaking. Time is like a leaf in the wind, either it's time worth spent, or time I've wasted. Don't waste it.
I'm pondering a lot, questioning the purpose of my existence, or if my education is a waste. Socializing e.g. in school brings me down. In my head I'm alone, I'm un-dead, I'm ashamed.

It's Just forever is a song about love. I don't understand the desire of the being authority over a female.
The next song is about relationships as well, Take it or Leave it. There may never exist a win-win-situation.
Knew I, couldn't help myself, I had to lay low. So I, couldn't help myself, I lost my halo. Not comparable to Beyonce's song at all!
Black Widow is the only song I dislike from the lyrics. Energetic song, though I don't think it fits to this album.
Hypocrite, I got told to be one once. At any rate, the lyrics aren't really the equivalent of up-beat! Still, the vocals are funny!
I never felt beat in my Teeth, the song has a crazy music and vocal concept for sure. Is it about tooth decay?
The final song, Cigarette Daydreams, is a melancholic song. Lyrics filled with memories from past times, accompanied by soft guitar and violin harmonics.

In a nutshell, this album may be well-tolerated by non-punk fans.
I personally like most of the songs, I think they are energetic and charged with emotion.
Time wasted is time lost, but for sure listening to the album isn't a waste of time.