Music Banter - View Single Post - Music While Driving
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

A way long time ago, I would seriously whip up tapes and have different nights and times for different things. Today it's just random stuff, whatever I'm in the mood for, but back then there were PLANS! Taking the time machine back to The very early 90's for this...

For long afternoon drives, I would have a tape of 60's Garage Punk and related singles sides that were very unknown or at least cult classics, almost like having the Lost 60's AM Radio Station with no DJ or ads, just great driving music. A tape featuring the Michigan Brand Nuggets collection was possibly #1 on the playlist for a while - Early MC5, Bob Seger and The Last Heard, The Rationals...you know the score!

One night would be something like Nurse with Wound's Homotopy to Marie along with mix tapes of Einsturzende Neubauten, Coil, and Skinny Puppy for a very interesting night time drive, especially through the rural areas - effectively dark and creepy while sometimes headed for space while going though empty space. Back then I was into collecting those albums, still like them now.

This was also at the time when Ride's Going Blank Again, Blur's Modern Life Is Rubbish, 5:30's Bed, and the Jesus and Mary Chain's Honey's Dead would be most of the playlist for a journey. Mainly a Saturday Night out.

Gothic Nights - Siouxise, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (esp. Tender Prey), Lorries, Bauhaus, Sisters, Compilations, sometimes the odd Industrial tape (while understanding why that style never flew on a boxy sounding format as it sounded brilliant on a CD). I had a knack for finding those Imported tapes used plus even getting some great stuff on a C-60 with only the best of a band.

A Punk Drive would feature The Buzzcock's Operator's Manuel (sadly the Parts 1-2-3 tape was destroyed one night), The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle soundtrack (The Disco Pistols Medley would always crack me up), Ramones, The Avengers (had the collection on tape, now vinyl), The Weirdos, and a mix tape of classic songs. They would usually be planned for a drive to some show.

Sometimes I would be lazy and just go for one band - may it be Beatles, Ramones, Icicle Works, Damned, Stones...
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote