Music Banter - View Single Post - The Pop of Today Vs Pop Of Yesterday
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #226 (permalink)
galt54
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea View Post
Good to see you back. At least you liked one.

Animal Collective does add a lot of ambient/background noise to their music. Sometimes they do overdo it a bit, but even in those cases I tend to ignore it. For Guy's Eyes, it didn't really have any "dissonance," but the part that might turn some people off is the countermelody which does not fit against the main melody in the same way most countermelodies do. It makes the song sound "busy." Personally I think that makes it more interesting and adds a level of sophistication most pop tunes don't have.

If you liked that one Tame Impala tune I suspect you'll like others. Might want to give some of their songs a few more listens. I'm surprised you didn't like Mind Mischief, since it's practically a Beatles ripoff, even moreso than any other Tame Impala song.

Anyway, from the looks of it I'd say you've got very specific tastes, which probably explains why you don't like a lot of recent stuff. I'd say your objection to recent music has nothing to do with the educational issues you mentioned before; rather, it has more to do the fact you only like a very small subset of things. If you don't even like acoustic, melodic stuff like Jack Johnson, I don't know what to say.
I do have very specific tastes. I like simple melodies more than complex ones. I find it easier to listen to "simple" music. This might have something to do with the fact that I am a recovered psychotic. I was afflicted with schizophrenia when I was in my late teens. Ever since then I have had great difficulty with the concentration thing. My attention tends to wander. And I am not good at multitasking. If a piece of music is complex then I would have to do something akin to multitasking in regard to the listening. I would have to "pick up" several different elements in the music at the same time. I find classical music to be boring - probably because it is complex.

Here are the eight musical artists/bands which I most like to listen to: Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, the Beatles, Blue Oyster Cult, the Queers, the Punkles, Blondie, the Rolling Stones.

What do those eight disparate groups/artists have in common? Songs with simple melodies is the common denominator which I see in them.

Another concrete example of my preference for simplicity in music is that I like to listen to many of the 1970s era songs by - get this _ Kiss! Kiss is just about the most simplistic rock group that ever walked the Earth! But those four rock and roll clowns did write some catchy melodies!
galt54 is offline   Reply With Quote