Music Banter - View Single Post - Specific musical anhedonia
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jelke
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddling Rothschild View Post
It might also be a temperament thing. Paintings, for instance, to a large degree had very little effect on me and it takes a certain effort of concentration in order to arouse anything genuinely close to a feeling at immediate sight. And like you, perhaps paradoxically, I drew and painted for years during my adolescence in an almost robotic sense without actually displaying any of the works to anyone. I'm pretty sure psychologists have some explanation, perhaps brain and cognitive researchers with advanced brain mapping techniques have a more verifiable explanation which in any case I've yet to read.

Words tend to be the same - I pick and choose them quite often purely for their musical quality, and pictorial representation to this day, is a huge effort of brain straddle. But give me too much poetry, especially well written, old fashioned type with a meter, rhyme and rhythm and I risk indulgence in sentimental nostalgia or solipsistic melancholy. Over time, through sheer will and dogmatic perseverance, I can now picture and play long winded scenes in my head with a genuine feeling and without much tedium.

So my friend, I apologize for ducking your question as I don't know enough about it. But I hope it served as a pattern of sorts, with music gaining similar spontaneity with time and perseverance.
Wow; I am truly impressed with your way of writing. It's very lyric and poetic. I read a lot of old (Dutch) works from the 19th century because I get joy from the way they build up sentences. I sometimes get mad about how we Dutch truly messed up our language.

But besides your writing: Your experience with painting without really feeling the emotions is somewhat similar with me playing the piano without really getting joy and emotion from it. But I don't think it has to do with temperament: I get emotional while reading a good book or watching a good film. So it's purely music I just don't get emotional from:

I just listened to First Episode at Hienton from Elton John (as suggested by DriveYourCarInToTheSea (excuse me if i didn't spelled that name correctly)). I like the song in a particular way: I think it's well-written and it's a nice song. But I don't got touched by it. It just doesn't give me some kind of emotional thing...

I hope I helped you understanding a little bit more about my condition I'm sorry if am not very clear; my English isn't that good and the whole situation is quite difficult to explain.

Grtz,
Jelke
Jelke is offline   Reply With Quote