Music Banter - View Single Post - Specific musical anhedonia
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelke View Post
HiHi!

I've listened to both songs (four times). I think First Episode at Hienton's lyrics are very deep and well-written, the tones are really nice too. I think it's a good song but I just don't feel any emotion like sadness or anger or whatever... It just leaves me completely cold

The same thing for the 'happy' song: I immediately recognized it from the old cartoon Snoopy, that gave me some joy because it was nostalgic. But I just don't got happy or anything in that direction from the song itself.

I do know why you get emotional from it; the notes, the sad voice, the sad lyrics etc. and I think it's just weird that I don't get emotional from it.
Thanks, that was interesting. At least you could appreciate them in a sort-of abstract sense.

In the thread goofle11 linked on the first page, I found another article on this and was reading some of the discussion below the article. It was very interesting. In particular, there was one person who said he had the same issue you do, but then completely by accident, one day he listend to a particular song by a band named Phish, and for some reason something "clicked" in him and he started appreicating music afterwards. I posted his comment here. After I read that, I listened to the song he mentioned. It's a very long and weird song with a lot of non-musical elements. In a strange way, I could see how a song like that might "click" to someone who didn't like music. Instead of trying to get yourself to like music by listening to "musical" music, maybe you should try listening to music that *isn't* so musical, and then work backwards, so-to-epeak. The important thing is to be affected by the change in sounds through time; maybe if your brain isn't attuned to normal musical sounds, you should try "abnormal" musical sounds.

If you want to try that, myself and other people here can help you find some a-musical music that might help.