Music Banter - View Single Post - Your favorite Marilyn Manson album?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Two Spirit
Music Addict

Default Your favorite Marilyn Manson album?

I've listened to Manson's music for a while now, but I only got obsessed with him recently. I know I'm late to the party, but better late than never.

Anyway, I just purchased a bunch of his albums and have been listening to them non-stop, so I thought I'd do a rundown of them.

Portrait of an American Family: I realize this is his first release, but I was bored throughout the whole thing. Manson was still developing his persona, so I forgive him for the dullness.

Antichrist Superstar: After the success of the Smells Like Children EP with the "Sweet Dreams" cover that launched the band into mainstream success, Manson went right ahead and crafted this masterpiece and unleashed it upon the masses. Not only was it successful, but it's beautifully crafted and is one of my favorites.

Mechanical Animals: This album does a 180 from AS and instead goes for a more poppy David Bowie-esque sound, and I love it. It definitely is a departure from his previous releases up to this point, but Manson is able to make it his own, despite being out of his territory musically.

Holy Wood: Easily my favorite album from Manson. It combines the eeriness and creepiness from AS with the pop elements from MA to create an otherworldly sounding record. Manson has also musically matured a lot by this point, and creates tunes that not only stick in your mind, but also make you feel many different emotions.

The Golden Age of Grotesque: By this point in his career, MM was clearly running out of ideas, but that doesn't deter this release from being among my favorites from him. I actually like how MM acknowledges that there's nothing shocking left to do, so instead he makes that the theme of the album and just plays along with it. It's kind of a running joke throughout this record that MM is just making more mainstream tunes for the hell of it.

Eat Me, Drink Me: I can't get into this one at all. I appreciate that MM is reflecting his life troubles in this album, but he just comes across as very whiny and overemotional. Not really the type of content that I like from him.

The High End of Low: This feels like Eat Me, Drink Me II without the vampire themes. It's really more of the same sappy, overemotional leftovers from the previous album. Nothing to see here.

Born Villain: Despite losing MM's sappy rantings, this album is just as boring, if not more, than the last two. I appreciate the artistic atmosphere he was trying to create for this, but it just falls flat and is extremely boring. He clearly forgot how to create a good album.

So there's my rundown of MM's catalog, with Holy Wood winning the crown. How about you guys? What's your favorite MM album and why do you like it the most?
Two Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote