Music Banter - View Single Post - A Nightmare on Jazz Street : Trollheart's Voyage into the World of Jazz. And Blues.
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default A Nightmare on Jazz Street : Trollheart's Voyage into the World of Jazz. And Blues.

Dear God, Trollheart! A sixth journal, I hear you exclaim! Yeah I know. I hadn't intended to do this either, but when I think about it I realise this is the best way for me to start my exploration of a genre I know little about and yet dislike most of what I have heard of.

Originally I was going to do this in my "Stranger in a strange land" feature in my main journal, but I came to the conclusion that jazz is way, way, way too big a subject for me to cover it in a few weeks, or even months of writing. So instead I'm starting a special jazz journal.

How it's gonna go I really don't know, but what I intend to do is maybe take recs and seek out some stuff on my own, post it and write about it, saying whether I think it's good or bad, or rather, whether I like it or not, as both good and bad are of course subjective terms. I may review full albums but I may very well not do: given the breadth of music I have to cover here there is likely to be no set format. If I come across something I like (or don't) I'll post and write about it, whether a full review or a few lines will depend on how much it affected me, either positively or negatively.

As the two genres are somewhat linked, I will also be looking at some blues music here, some of my favourites --- modern and old --- and some I may discover along the way. Again, full reviews may be the order of the day or they may not. It all depends. This journal, rather like it would seem jazz itself, is likely to be quite fluid and freeform, unlike my other, more structured ones.

Anyone wishing to discuss, give recs, argue with or educate me, particularly those more knowledgeable about jazz than I, who can point me in maybe the right direction, are of course welcome. Don't expect me to like everything I hear or listen to: I have a pretty biased view of the genre already formed, but I hope to try to change that over the coming weeks, months, years I guess.

So: the red pill sends me back to the comfort of prog rock and metal and standard rock and AOR, the blue pill sends me down the rabbit hole?

You know what? I'm feelin' "Kinda blue"...
See yaz down below!