Music Banter - View Single Post - Best sketch shows
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Way before ANYBODY'S time, even mine, but Sid Caesar's "Your Show Of Shows" was the best comedy from the first days of TV

It's not really possible to discuss SNL as one consistent show as the cast members come and go, as do the writers. The current SNL sucks festering nads IMO, losing Andy Samberg in particular totally took the funniest figurative wind out of their proverbial sails...

But what nearly everyone here wouldn't have experienced was the ground that first Not Ready For Primetime lineup broke in 1975. It's commonplace now but people were SHOCKED at the open discussion of drug culture references, myself included (maybe more delighted than shocked), that John Belushi talked about "fifty pounds of black Tibetan finger hash and two keys of slam"...

This was a taboo discussion until 1975

There is no way to discuss TV sketch comedy shows without mentioning the Carol Burnett show. There were unquestionably those change-the-channel moments, the standard variety-show-seventies moments like the songs and whatnot, but there were also times of pure hilarity, and the unscripted, in-the-moment & honest inability of the cast to keep a straight face (especially when Tim Conway was riffing) that to this day makes me LOL

Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote