Music Banter - View Single Post - Album that changed your musical outlook
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Default Album that changed your musical outlook

Here's a link to the old thread if you want more information.

http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...outlook-7.html

At bit of background information first: Well, growing up, my dad had by far the largest impact on my musical tastes.

He was a kid at the tail end of the 1960s, and most of the records he owns are of the various rock genres including experimental, prog, psychedelic, jam, and a ton of folk as well as some jazz fusion and blues.

Anyway, when I was born he had really stopped listening to a lot of records cause he was too busy with his job, but I remember that there was one record he would play rather frequently when I was a kid.

There is no album that had more of an impact on my musical interest than this.

Willie The Pimp, and Son of Mr. Green Genes really set off a chain reaction that led to me listening to genres and bands that revolved around the electric guitar and the amplifier. (Note: The iTunes Store was released when I was 10 years-old, so music was really easy to access)

I gravitated towards bands like Blink-182, AC/DC, and Metallica (All the Small Things, Back in Black, and Sad But True are easily my favorite songs by those bands, bar none).

It also led me to dislike most folk rock songs (I still dislike Stairway To Heaven and most Grateful Dead songs), hardcore heavy metal that bore no resemblance to blues, jazz fusion, or rock (doom, and death metal), and songs without any instrumentation (simple pop songs).

And lastly, instrumental songs compose a substantial amount of the music I listen to thanks to this album (which has no real lyrics).
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote