Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become pussified?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Spirit View Post
When I say pussified, I'm not talking about music becoming too feminine/less masculine, but rather how modern day music has become too soft with no daring messages.

Dont sugar coat it boo, it is pussified

Quote:
Most of us know about the controversial artists throughout music history. Not only was their music engaging, but their ideas were as well and they had something to say. Regardless of their politics, they all made an effort to challenge different social norms of their time.
Agree

Part of why modern day artists don't care about these types of issues is because they are not "real artists" to begin with. This especially goes for the current mainstream artists. They are corporate puppets/products that are made to produce money.These singers do not have an interest in influencing people and enlightening people by discussing social issues and norms. They are not being challenged or scolded for not producing music with social messages or deeper meanings so there is no need for them to do it.

I think most of these current pop artists just care about money and their own greed overall. I think they could care less about issues that affect the world and average everyday citizens.

Quote:
Elvis simply challenged social norms just by performing in unconventional ways, John Lennon was a peace activist, David Bowie challenged norms surrounding gender and sexuality, Marilyn Manson actively challenged religion, etc. There are too many to be mentioned, but all of these artists seemed to stand for something and meant what they said.

Sadly, I can't say the same about mainstream stars today. If you really take a look at the musical landscape, the most offensive or "out there" artist is Lady Gaga, and that's sad. I love Gaga, but she doesn't really push any boundaries and is mostly a safe artist who just dresses differently.
Agree.

Gaga is safe and her 5 minutes are up.

Quote:
I don't want this to come off as a "back in my day" type of thread, but modern music to me has no message or meaning. There's no rebellious spirit or groundbreaking artists in the mainstream, whereas in the past there was at least two or three significant artists per decade that made a difference musically and culturally. I just don't see that with today's artists.

Thoughts?
AGREE

Mainstream music sucks point blank period. People need to start voicing their opinions on the horrible direction popular music has taken and stop supporting the radio, itunes, etc.

And I know some people are going to say "Well no one is making you listen to it" and yes that is true but that still does not change that the state of popular music is a major problem.

Nice thread!
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote