Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become pussified?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Spirit View Post
Elvis simply challenged social norms just by performing in unconventional ways, John Lennon was a peace activist, David Bowie challenged norms surrounding gender and sexuality, Marilyn Manson actively challenged religion, etc. There are too many to be mentioned, but all of these artists seemed to stand for something and meant what they said.

Sadly, I can't say the same about mainstream stars today. If you really take a look at the musical landscape, the most offensive or "out there" artist is Lady Gaga, and that's sad. I love Gaga, but she doesn't really push any boundaries and is mostly a safe artist who just dresses differently.
I can't even believe that Marilyn Manson is even being mentioned in the same breath as three people who are actual music icons. He made some okay music but he was just a gimmicky flash in pan. And even with the other three, what did they really stand for? Elvis was just in the right place at the right time. Lennon was an attention whore who seemed more interested in making headlines than making an actual point (and we have one of those right now in the form of Kanye West). And Bowie, while certainly the most talented of the bunch, didn't really stand for much aside from simply being an interesting person who made good music.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote