Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #546 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I have a feeling I'm gonna be using the "Boo this man!" gif when I see what albums you've chosen over Welcome to Hell. I love everything about Venom. The crappy songs. The crappy production. The crappy musicianship. The crappy vocals. The crappy lyrics. It shouldn't work at all, and yet it all somehow comes together and breeds greatness. I don't think it's possible to divorce all of that from its "manic, bestial flow". If the songwriting had more class, or if they could actually play, or if the production was more professional, or if the lyrics were more mature then the spell would be broken and you'd be left with something good but not great.
If Venom were a movie then they'd be classic 'B-Movie' material and rank as one of the worst b-movies ever, but like most crappy b-movies they're so bad that they actually end up being very good, as they've turned their crappiness into an art form just like Ed Wood did for example. So with this in mind I actually really enjoy listening to Venom now and again, but deep down I know their crappy limitations.

Actually most of the albums I've chosen over Venom with the exception of about four or five, I'd say you'd agree with based on your taste and I know some are albums that you actually like a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
Wow, 14! I was expecting them to be in the top 5, although lyrically black metal has never turned my crank, musically this album is pretty groundbreaking. I have to agree with the Batlord on this one...you've gotta show more love for scuzzy low rent metal!
Albums that are groundbreaking are usually groundbreaking in retrospect and Venom are no different really in that aspect, but where they differ from other groundbreaking bands, is that nearly all the known bands that they helped to inspire are far superior to them in nearly all aspects. What Venom have in their favour though is a big set of balls and on their first two albums they laid down the complete criteria for extreme metal, a template if you like that was essential for the growth of metal.

If my lists were just based on the most influential then they would've been no.1 on the list, but as I take so many other things into consideration with the largest factor being my own taste, Venom have lost out a lot in other areas which I've already mentioned and hell I like scuzzy metal and you can't get more scuzzy than Cirith Ungol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Fair warning is killer and anybody that says otherwise has not given it a fair listen. Nice review. Such a great album. "I like the way the little line runs up the back of her your stockings..." The intro to mean streets alone is worth the price of admission. There is a reason EVH is so revered and mean street is it"
Now that's a fair assessment. I've mentioned a few times how David Lee Roth's spoken voice just sounds so cool with its swagger (it does to me as a non-American anyway) and half the things he sings/speaks just couldn't be pulled off by my many others either.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote