Music Banter - View Single Post - Best sketch shows
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

The problem with all sketch comedy shows is that they are all not funny 90% of the time. The 10% of airtime that works is hilarious, but the rest is embarrassing to watch.

That said, I second Chapelle's show for the one that has the smallest amount of sadly unfunny moments, but it stopped after just a few seasons. Not fair to compare that to shows like SNL and MADTV, which mostly suck but were on network TV broadcasts (i.e. extra censored), despite some very funny sketches and characters.

Generally I don't like sketch shows because of how dismally unfunny they are on a regular basis. I especially never got SCTV (I don't recall ever finding it funny, but I was young... and American) and Kids in the Hall was mostly just veiled gay jokes, wasn't it? Please be funny at least 50% of the time if you're going to put yourself out there so often. I don't wanna hate comedians.

Also, shout out to Paul for mentioning The Carol Burnett Show (particularly the 'The Family' sketches). As a child, I used to watch it with my mom and saw her laugh herself silly, which made me happy.