Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become pussified?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #66 (permalink)
RoxyRollah
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I think in our current times we still experience alot of social turmoil and injustice. There are still alot of political, social inequality as well as massacres that still continue till this day.

I don't think it is accurate to say that the reason why popular music is not political is a result of living in different times because we still live in a time where we experience so much social problems and injustice.

We live in a time of:

Trayvon Martin shooting
Boston Bombing
Connecticut Elementary Shooting
Barney's Racial Profiling Controversy

etc and etc.

So we still experience the same issues as past eras have experience.

My question is why do the record labels/artists not want to use music to promote social change like previous eras? They do not have to be leaders or activists to create a song that challenges people to think or to be aware.

Everyone just cares about money.
Sorry girl nap time lasted like three days... OK Here we go...

I am not saying we don't live in a time of social unrest either. We do. But again, the mentality is completely different. In the 60's you had a group mentality. Because so many teenagers, and young adults at that particular time frame, were fed up with the old ways. The old ways no longer worked for them, and they bonded on that basic premiss.

In the 60's that premiss became a movement, a spiritual movement, a movement to change injustice, a movement that was out for the grater good of humanity. And anytime you have progression in history it's bloody.The music of that time couldn't help but reflect the energy in the air. There is still one thing that this time doesn't have that the 60's did.

THE USE OF LSD, as form spiritual enlightenment, and people were experimenting with it and all the views the come along with a psychedelic trip. You don't have this now at all. You have a few parties, and festivals that you find it in abundance, or you don't. But it is not nearly the catalyst like it was back in the day. Thus influencing a grater amount of musicians and inspiring them to use their celebrity in a positive way.

( He will always say what I am thinking about this topic better then I do. )

Because of the lack of lsd readily available, and the lack of desire to expand our consciousness now a days you won't see the prominence of important messages in music like you did back then. I don't think this is the fault of the record companies babe. I think this is the fault of the times we live in. The messages that are out there, are not the same as they were back then, and the commonality is lost. Now you may find a handful of artists that are talking about issues that are important to them specifically. Which will in no way ever dominate history as the music of the 60's because most of the artists of that time, were on the same wave length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.

Last edited by RoxyRollah; 03-29-2014 at 11:47 AM.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote