Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become pussified?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #73 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I think it is fair to compare the more popular songs from each of the past era's since this discussion is questioning the popular music scene of today.

All of these songs were Hot 100 Billboard hits. I also gave a brief description to support why I chose these songs. Also, I did not go into great detail with composition (I can) but some of these songs are also not important just because of their lyrics but also their musical composition as well.

I am going to start with the 60's first.

1. Sittin On The Dock of The Bay- Otis Redding- 1968
This song is about Otis reflecting on his entire life. This song was actually written before his death in 1968. He reflects on his childhood, early beginnings to stardom and his current life. It is a eerie, haunting and retrospective song.

2. The Rolling Stones- Gimme Shelter- 1969

The song reflected the current times of war and tension. The song primarily was influenced by the Vietnam War and race riots. However, Mick Jagger, the songwriter, insisted that the song is about the world coming to an end and it is possible the song is a metaphor for other social catastrophes.

3. The Who- My Generation- 1965
This song focuses on childhood memories, never growing old and being a teenager

4. The Band- The Weight-1968
This is considered one of the greatest songs of all time. When I research more on why this song is so regarded I was amazed.

Conception and Information about song lyrics
From Wikipedia:
"The traveler begins "The Weight" by giving the impression that he is visiting the Holy Land. The traveler is weary from his long journey (e.g., "feelin' 'bout half past dead"), and is looking for a place to stay and sleep, as in the New Testament Gospel of Luke story of Joseph and Mary prior to the birth of Jesus of Nazareth in Bethlehem. In the town, the traveler encounters people with names taken from Biblical characters – the Devil, Miss Moses, and Luke. The traveler encounters others, including Carmen walking with the Devil, whom the traveler meets while trying to find a place to sleep. The traveler asks Carmen to go downtown with him. She responds by telling the traveler that she has something else to do but the Devil "can stick around" with him. The traveler meets Crazy Chester, who offers to provide him with a bed (e.g., "fix his rack") if the traveler will take his dog, Jack. The chorus and last verse mention Miss Fanny (not intended to be sung as "Annie"[14]), who had charged the traveler the responsibility (e.g., "The Weight" or "load") for giving "her regards to everyone" in the town. In the final verse, the traveler leaves Nazareth, dispirited by his experiences (e.g. "my bag is sinking low"). The traveler catches a "cannon ball" (i.e., a train, as in the American folk song "Wabash Cannonball") to go back to see Miss Fanny"

5. Pink Floyd- See Emily Play- 1967

This song focuses on a girl named "Emily". There are many reports and stories behind who this Emily character really is. Some have alluded Emily is a metaphor for a "psychedelic drug" since the song is heavily fused with a psychedelic vibe. Others have insisted that Emily is the daughter of a famous politician or possibly a "hallucination". The song tells the truth on who Emily really is.

6. Jackie Wilson- Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher-1967

The song focuses on the love a man has for a woman and how this love has changed him for the better. Her love has changed him into a better man. This song is sited as an important song for the decade and is considered a "feel good" song.

7. Jefferson- White Rabbit-1967

The song focuses the epidemic and social experimentation of drugs in the 1960's. The song uses metaphors in words such as "White Rabbit", The Hookah- Smoking Caterpillar and Alice to reference certain drugs such as LSD and mushrooms which were common hallucinatory drugs.

Some lyrics:
One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
To call Alice, when she was just small

I actually really like this song.

8. Ben E King- Stand By Me- 1961

This is a soul song that was inspired by gospel hymns. Although this song is referring to a man pleading for a woman to stand by him through trials and tribulations, this song has become a universal hymn that represents perseverance, friendship and social support.

9. The Velvet Underground- Heroin- 1967

The song focuses on the effects of Heroin usage and the abuse of it. It is one of the band's most popular songs.

10. The Four Tops- Reach Out (I'll Be There)- 1966

The song focuses on desperation, loneliness and reaching out to help others that are in need. The song is suppose to raise the esteem of those that have low self esteem and that are depressed about life.

11. Aretha Franklin- Respect- 1967

The song focuses on a woman who demands respect and to be treated with respect by the one that she loves or any man. The song shows that a woman should not give money, give sex or degrade herself in order to get a man to respect her.

12. James Brown- Papa's Got a Brand New Bag- 1965

The song is a funky soulful dance tune. James Brown who is the primary songwriter of the song, sings joyfully about an old man that is courageous to start a new way of living and life. He sings "Papa got a brand new bag".

Brand new bag in this song is a metaphor for, "taste", "new way of doing things" "new interest"

13. Sly and the Family Stone- Everybody is a star- 1969

This song focuses on how everyone is unique in their own way and has the opportunity to be successful and succeed in life. The song insists that people should be true to who they are and that they are loved because they are who they are and should not try to be something they are not.

14. Ike& Tina Turner- River Deep Mountain High- 1966

The song compares a woman's love and loyalty in her relationship to that which a little girl feels for her doll and a puppy has for his/her owner.

15. The Count Five- Psychotic Reaction- 1966
The song focuses on psychosis and being put under hypnosis.

16. Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel- The Sound Of Silence- 1963

This song was released after JFK's assassination. Although the song was not inspired by that, it became instantly popular during this period because the lyrics resonated with many mourners.

Some lyrics:
Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

The writer, Paul Simon insisted he did not write the lyrics for deeper meaning and just wrote the song out of growing pains and angst. The song focuses on a conversation with darkness and seeking answers for dreams that have come to mind. Also, disclosing dreams and revelations in the sound of silence.

17. The Impressions- People Get Ready- 1965
The song focuses on the civil rights movement. It is a spiritual calling for people to join the fight for African Americans civil rights and religious salvation.

18. Jackson 5- I Want You Back -1969
The song focuses on a lover pleading for his lover to take him back and give him one more chance.

19. The Beatles- A Day in the Life-1967
The song focuses on many things. The song focuses on current news events such as the death of a young woman, War/tension and other current events. The song also focuses on childhood memories and drug usage.

20. David Bowie- Space Oddity- 1969

The song is about a astronaut, Major Tom who is leaving to go to space in a clear allusion to the moon landing.

These are my first 20 from the 60's. I'll do the 70's, 80's, 90's and 50's although I skipped it. When I am done it should equal a 100 songs.

Side note: All these songs are not talking about social and political issues either but for the most part the subject matter and compositions have some depth and substance to them. These were some of the most popular songs of the 60's.

Dude, those are twenty songs. I'm sure if we went back to 1967 and listened to the radio for a year we would both be flabbergasted by just how much complete and utter crap we had to suffer through to get to those songs. Hindsight is a bitch.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote