Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become pussified?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 12:18 PM   #79 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post

11. Aretha Franklin- Respect- 1967

The song focuses on a woman who demands respect and to be treated with respect by the one that she loves or any man. The song shows that a woman should not give money, give sex or degrade herself in order to get a man to respect her.

15. The Count Five- Psychotic Reaction- 1966
The song focuses on psychosis and being put under hypnosis.

Respect was written by Otis Redding, but Aretha's version gave it that extra dimension and definition.

Psychotic Reaction is just about hearing a guy's complaints about not getting a girl's love with an extra Psychedelic kick, but knowing the Garage Punk era offers a good reason why this song connected one the words were heard. "I must stay away" hits the "Old Man vs. Long Hair/Undesirable Teen" angle perfectly, and in the age when hair really meant a lot (it was an era when a few NBC affiliates decided not to show the Monkees for just being a show about Long Haired Rock Musicians, for example!) gives it more of that easy to relate to flavor, although that "Would you like to take a ride now" sounds wither sinister or clever (as in "Tell them you're going to the Library"). Obviously the lyrics sound more like they were just tossed off ("I can't get satisfaction!"...now where did we hear that one before? Ha! Ha!), but the delivery and style did offer it some substance.

If you're looking for something a little more meatier, a great replacement within the Garage Punk scene would be something from the 13'th Floor Elevators, who actually had some serious mind bending lyrics (Slip Inside This House, especially), or even The Music Machine, who's Sean Bonniwell had a way with inserting something thought provoking in his lyrics - ie their most popular song "Talk Talk" about a troubled teen with a heavy bout of paranoia and fear ("I cry out for justice and admit that I was wrong/I'll stay in hibernation until the talk subsides till gone").

A far better example is the Boyce/Hart classic "Last Train to Clarksville" made famous by the Monkees...

Last Train to Clarksville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote