Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #751 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Album title: Gentle Giant
Artiste: Gentle Giant
Nationality: British
Year: 1970
Subgenre: Progressive Rock
Player(s): Gary Green (Lead Guitar), Kerry Minnear (Keys), Derek Shulman (Lead Vox), Martin Shulman (Brass and woodwinds), Ray Shulman (Bass, Guitars, Violin), Martin Smith (Percussion)
Familiarity: I have all their top albums, so that has to count for something as proghead.
Favourite track(s): 'Funny Ways' and 'Nothing At All"
Why? 'Nothing At All' was the song that got me into progressive rock (as I talked about on my journal) and 'Funny Ways' is an interesting,rhythmically propulsive song that hints at just how out-of-the-box the Shulman brothers and co. would become on later records.
Least favourite track(s): “The Queen”
Why? See everyone else's comments. Seems unnecessary.
Any preconceptions prior to listening, whether good or bad?
None really, and unless you were aware at just how unique these guys were before you heard their music as far as reputation goes, I don't see how anyone would be prepared for them.
Factoids you'd like to share? Derek Shulman (the lead singer and eldest Shulman brother) went on to have a GIGANTIC career as a record executive from the 80's onwards after GG's disbanding, signing or overseeing the signing of a lot of superstar bands on several labels, including Dream Theater, Pantera...hell, even Nickelback and Bon Jovi!
End impression: 1969-1970 was a watershed year for the-then nascent progressive movement, and this album is right up there with anything Yes or King Crimson were doing at the time as far as standing out from the crowd goes.
Comments: A promising beginning from a band who would go on to become one of the most distinctive and forward-thinking groups to ever exist in progressive rock's golden decade. Its not a perfect record by any means, and besides 'Nothing At All' I'm not in love with any of the songs here, but this was 1970 and a debut album: nobody besides King Crimson completely knocked it out of the park their first go-around, not even Yes or Genesis. These guys were on to something special, and you can just hear the creative electricity sizzle from note to note here. The true depths of this potential would not start revealing itself until '71's Acquiring The Taste, but the signs of greatness are heir apparent.

Rating: 3.5 Not the first album I'd recommend to people for GG, but its got some great moments.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote