Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #752 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, accepted. But you could listen to just about any Genesis album and see why they're the giants they are (except Abacab of course: ZING! Neapolitan!) or maybe Yes (not that familiar with them) or Rush, so I think that unless this album is VERY atypical of them then it should hold true that no matter what album you hear you should "get it".

Of course, we are constrained in that we're using one guy's personal favourites list, but still...
Well as regards Genesis, I assume you would agree with me that Nursery Cryme was a significant leap forward, and Foxtrot yet another leap to a plateau that they maintained through the remainder of the Gabriel era into the early Collins era. This is kinda like that. The first GG album has moments but they had a lot of development in front of them. I'm just saying not to give up on Giant until you've heard their fully developed music.

If you haven't done so yet, Trollheart, I encourage you to read my review of Three Friends that I linked to in my review on this thread. That was the beginning of their greatness

I understand the premise of this thread demands reviewing the listed albums.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote