Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become pussified?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 09:28 AM   #216 (permalink)
RL Clown
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Spirit View Post
When I say pussified, I'm not talking about music becoming too feminine/less masculine, but rather how modern day music has become too soft with no daring messages.

Most of us know about the controversial artists throughout music history. Not only was their music engaging, but their ideas were as well and they had something to say. Regardless of their politics, they all made an effort to challenge different social norms of their time.

Elvis simply challenged social norms just by performing in unconventional ways, John Lennon was a peace activist, David Bowie challenged norms surrounding gender and sexuality, Marilyn Manson actively challenged religion, etc. There are too many to be mentioned, but all of these artists seemed to stand for something and meant what they said.

Sadly, I can't say the same about mainstream stars today. If you really take a look at the musical landscape, the most offensive or "out there" artist is Lady Gaga, and that's sad. I love Gaga, but she doesn't really push any boundaries and is mostly a safe artist who just dresses differently.

I don't want this to come off as a "back in my day" type of thread, but modern music to me has no message or meaning. There's no rebellious spirit or groundbreaking artists in the mainstream, whereas in the past there was at least two or three significant artists per decade that made a difference musically and culturally. I just don't see that with today's artists.

Thoughts?
Music has become softer, generally speaking... Back in the 90's, Eminem challenged many people. He lived up to his image; he wasn't afraid of the media. He didn't give a f**k what other people thought. But when I look at today's musicians, nobody wants to push the boundaries. Maybe it's because parents worry too much about their children... Parents don't want their children to listen to "bad music". So mainstream music was forced to become softer over the years. However, underground music still has some hardcore musicians. Look at ICP and Twiztid. I advise you to listen to their songs on youtube.
RL Clown is offline   Reply With Quote